The land and Development Services Department is responsible for managing and overseeing current and long-range development efforts, development services, annexations, plan review, and zoning to ensure that all development in the City of Salisbury meets all applicable codes and ordinances. This is a new department for the city that will work closely with the development community to provide responsive, thorough, accurate assistance and service. Salisbury is experiencing a wave of growth, and this department will lead the city’s efforts to promote and ensure quality and equitable growth.
Newly formed Department Establish and lead a new department that focuses on managing growth and development. Organization and Operational Effectiveness Lead and enhance land and development services by promoting creative and timely customer service. Collaboration Work closely with developers and teams to encourage quality growth as prioritized by City Council. Leadership serves on the City’s Management Team and collaborates with all departments and City Council for strategic and equitable growth. Cultivator Shape Salisbury’s future by evaluating, improving, and creating ordinances and strategies to pursue smart growth principles and community vision.
The ideal candidate should be an established leader in the land and development services field with comprehensive knowledge of the modern principles, practices, and techniques of land and development administration and management, including recruitment, training, and operations related to the land and development services divisions. The city desires an energetic leader with proven ability and passion to engage staff and shape the culture of an organization while integrating policy and best practices. Additionally, this leader should have the desire to engage the development community and work together to address concerns. Consistent, timely, and accurate customer service is expected. The ideal candidate should be a creative leader bringing innovation to the Land and Development Services Department with the ability to solve problems, think strategically, identify alternative courses of action, provide recommendations, and leverage technology to improve services. The new director should have experience working collaboratively to enhance the values of customer service, inclusiveness, and teamwork. While managing this new department, the director will need to work collaboratively with other departments for effective service delivery. Employee relations and communication are a priority. The ideal candidate should be approachable, open-minded, and willing to be hands-on with employees to create a positive atmosphere for employees within the department. Capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and leader for staff to inspire excellence are also desired.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Develops, plans, implements, and manages department goals, objectives, policies, and procedures necessary to provide assigned engineering, land & development services.
- Along with other staff, acts as a resource for new businesses, land developers, and investors, including problem-solving in the area of plan approval, permitting and licensing; provides technical expertise and responds to complex questions to resolve conflicts.
- Directs, oversees, and participates in developing a goal-oriented department work plan; assigns and coordinates work activities, projects, and programs; monitors workflow; reviews and evaluates completed work, methods, and procedures of the Development Services Department.
- Manages the daily operations of the Land & Development Services Department and serves as a member of the City’s management team; responds to inquiries and requests from City Manager, elected officials, and other City departments.
- Interprets and enforces land development ordinances; assists staff with problem-solving, verifying permit and plan approval requirements.
- Prepares ordinances and legislation for land use and zoning matters; creates maps and summaries to communicate findings.
- Reviews and approves major and minor site plans for residential and commercial development to ensure consistency with the Land Development Ordinance and coordinates additional approvals with other departments.
- Advises and presents to City Council in areas of zoning, development ordinances, and annexations.
- Manages development review process for legislative and quasi-judicial proposals.
- Prepares the annual department budget; projects future needs, monitors expenditures, tracks expenses, and provides general budgetary oversight.
- Performs personnel functions including hiring, disciplinary actions, and performance appraisals; coaches employees for professional development and ensures staff has the resources and training needed to do their job.
- Manages and coordinates work of consultants and special studies; oversees public engagement activities and serves as primary press contact for the department.
- Works with various committees and commissions, including the Planning Board.
- Addresses legislative issues such as annexation, local bills, and statutory charges; monitor the General Assembly when in session.
- Participates in department staff meetings, administrative meetings, and status updates with the City Manager.
- Promotes land & development efforts through participation in community and statewide organizations.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of local regulations, zoning, land use, and other ordinances and codes.
- Ability to work collaboratively with the development services team and customers to resolve problems creatively and efficiently.
- Considerable knowledge of the state and federal law impacting development and land.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental laws, programs, and services pertinent to the community and economic development.
- Considerable knowledge of the environmental and socio-economic implications of the land development process.
- Considerable skill in the collection, analysis, and presentation of technical data and land & development recommendations, and in working with others in a joint cooperative manner that supports department and City goals.
- Thorough knowledge of modern and effective long and short-range land use and development planning principles and practices.
- Working knowledge of management techniques as applied to municipal government.
- Ability to organize, supervise, and direct professional staff members and perform administrative functions such as budgeting and staffing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff members, community groups, federal, state, regional, and City officials, and the general public.
- Ability to direct the preparation of comprehensive reports and studies.
- Ability to express ideas effectively in oral and written forms and present technical reports.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and adapt to changing management/City Council priorities and unexpected events without service disruption.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in municipal planning, engineering, geography, land use, public administration, or related field and considerable experience in municipal planning, management, development services, and/or community development work, to include supervisory and leadership experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of a valid North Carolina driver’s license.
- Preferred or ability to obtain American Institute of Certified Planners certification.
$85,212.63 – $121,853.95 – Depending on Experience The City provides a comprehensive benefits package as part of the total rewards program to support employees through important events in their life, to enhance their life outside work, and to help them plan and prepare for the future. The City also participates in the North Carolina Local Governmental Employees Retirement System (NCLGERS). Benefits include a sign-on bonus of $2,000 and a 4% city contribution into 401K. See additional information about the City’s benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should complete a profile and submit their application, resume, and cover letter online by visiting our website at www.salisburync.gov/careers. Closing Date: March 10, 2023 For questions, please contact Human Resources Department at (704) 638-5217 or email [email protected]. The City of Salisbury prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, veteran status, sexual orientation, religion, age, or disability in employment or the provision of services. The City of Salisbury is a Drug-Free Workplace.