ULI Charlotte will be profiling all of our District Council Leadership. Keep checking back to learn more about the members committed to making our organization the best it can be!
- Name: Stephen Stansbery
Kimley-Horn and Associates
- Current position: Vice-President / Senior Planner
- Place of birth/hometown: Pickerington, Ohio
- Years in the business: 18
- Most satisfying part of my job: Working with a diverse set of communities/constituent groups and collaborating with other professional disciplines to find solutions that are helping shaping our collective future.
- Strongest Leadership quality: Understanding that Patton’s words are still relevant today, “A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow” – the world moves at a pace that requires timely responses to existing and emerging challenges. Establishing a framework for more informed decision making should streamline our process and help us to keep pace with the world around us.
- Career/Leadership advice: a) Trust that individuals and groups are capable of making tough choices when offered meaningful and relevant information (strip away the rhetoric); and b) you’re only as strong as the team that surrounds you: take care of them and they’ll take care of you.
- Last book read: The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality, by Brian Greene
- Favorite Vacation: Cozumel, MX
- Favorite Cause: Spina Bifida Association www.spinabifidaassociation.org
- Family: Daughter Sophia (11), Spencer (5)
- Why I belong to ULI: It’s a place where all the ingredients for success congregate: public-private, design-developers, planners and capital.