Regional Initiative Councils
What are Initiative Councils?
Together, ULI Charlotte, South Carolina and Triangle offer Regional Initiative Councils (RICs). Modeled after national product councils, the mission of the regional council
program is to convene councils comprised of ULI members to promote
learning, build District Council leadership, share knowledge and expertise and
encourage regional collaboration.
RICs provide opportunities for leadership and volunteer involvement in
the ULI, at the regional level, by promoting excellence in programming, by
fostering a culture of openness, and by sharing issues critical to land use
planning and real estate development.
Council Types and Topics
Three Initiative Councils are available :
- Carolina Trends Council (CTC) – This council explores market trends and the
opportunities created by large scale development and major employers
(such as corporations, universities, and medical centers). Discussion
includes catalytic market transactions, economic development, capital
markets, infrastructure and how developers can leverage the demand for
supporting industries, housing and commercial real estate.
- Rethinking Southern Cities Council – This council will explore how southern cities can best harness their growth in a more urban and authentic fashion. Discussion will center around how continuing population growth and
demographic shifts and preferences will affect development patterns,
infill development, adaptive reuse of historic or obsolete buildings,
transportation, infrastructure and urban housing. Limited space available.
- Young Leaders Council (YLC) – This council is open to Young Leader Group
members that are ready to get involved at the next level of ULI. Each
meeting will include professionals from the industry sharing their best
practices, discussing catalytic real estate projects in our communities, and
fostering regional idea exchange amongst council members.
Each RIC leadership will determine the details of topics and programming for each meeting. The RICs meet per year: prior to the Carolinas’ Meeting (January/February) and Fall (August/September).
- Annually, ULI members are invited to apply for a Regional Initiative
Council. Applications are due each November. Applicants will be notified
by January 15.
- Applications will be reviewed by a regional committee and every effort will be made to achieve professional, ethnic and industry diversity.
- RIC meetings will be held in conjuction with the Carolinas’ Meeting
(seperate registration required) and one additional meeting as set by
the RIC leadership.
- All ULI Members representing Charlotte, South Carolina and the Triangle are eligible.
- Each council is limited to 35-45 members.
- Council members must have 10+ years’ experience in real estate and/or land use.(excluding Young Leaders Council)
- Upon acceptance, council members commit to attending two one-day meetings per calendar year. The meetings will be 4 – 6 hours in duration.
- Council affiliation fees will be $250 per year. The fees will cover meeting space, breakfast and/or lunch for council days.
- Each council will elect a Council Chair and two Vice-Chairs. Leadership will be responsible for programming and membership.
- Each council member will have the option to renew annually for three (3) years. After three (3) years, the council member will be asked to reapply.
- Every effort will be made to maintain professional, ethnic and gender diverse councils.
- Confidentiality: The foundation for open and honest sharing of detailed information and experience;
- Open, honest, specific information and experience: Participate openly and honestly with specific, detailed information and experience from your current real estate practice;
- No self promotion: Presentations and discussions aimed at delivering real take home value;
- Recruit the best and the brightest: Invite innovative leaders both ULI and non-ULI members as guests. Identify ways to continually add value to the conversation and make an impact in the community.